View Image

 

Black Hole Memorial - Dedication

at St Johns Church Black Hole Memorial, Calcutta

Black Hole Memorial - Dedication
small photo
  View high resolution image (183KB)
Photo by John Kendall
 
Black Hole Memorial - Dedication
small photo
  View high resolution image (248KB)
Photo by John Kendall
 
This monument
has been erected by
Lord Curzon, Viceroy and Governor General of India
In the year 1902
Upon the site
And in reporoduction of the design
of the original monument
to the memory of the 123 persons
who perished in the black Hole prison
of old Fort William
On the night of the 20th of June 1756
The former memorial was raised by
Thier surviving fellow sufferer
J.Z. Holwell, Governor of Fort William,
On the spot where th bodies of the dead
Had been thrown into the ditch of the ravelin.
It was removed in 1821.

 If you found this site useful or interesting and would like to help keep it going, then please consider contributing to the costs.

Frontis - The Archive Publishing System

 

[Home] [Search] [Surname Index] [Regiment Index] [Cemetery Index] [Campaign Index] [Occupations Index]